Friday, May 31, 2013

From despair to joy

“It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.” ― Joseph Campbell



I recently read this quote from someone who went through a near tragedy. I feel its apropo for my recent health problems. Having been in so much pain just from eating foods I was told were good for me, and seeing the list of 'healthy foods' I could have, was my own version of hell.  Officially it was called IBS-C, but I didn't care about the diagnosis, I simply wanted to be able to eat without pain.

I was told to eat more whole grains, no red meat and lots of healthy vegetables and fruit. I was also told to add a psyllium fiber supplement.  Sounds reasonable, right?  Unfortunately, my bloating, reflux and stomach pain got much, much worse.  Then I got an email from Leanne Ely, the Saving Dinner Diva, announcing a 30 Day Paleo challenge.  I was skeptical, but for the price, I felt I couldn't lose.

Within the first week, I saw a reduction in symptoms. But I was eating all the wrong foods- or so I thought. I eliminated all wheat and grains, no dairy (except grassfed butter/ghee), no soy, no sugar and no processed foods.  Reading over the list of "no" foods, I felt I was going to starve to death, I really did.  The recipes looked delicious enough, but I was still really apprehensive about the addition of red meat.  Nearly all of my life, red meat sat in my stomach like a brick. I didn't even like steak...at all.

Dairy was difficult as well, I mean, who doesn't love sour cream, cheese and cream cheese?  Heaven, right? For me, not so much.  It was causing most of my systemic inflammation and nearly all my sinus infections.  I'd already eliminated soy - that was a no brainer.  If you wonder why I disdain soy so much,Google 'estrogenic foods' or 'estrogen mimickers'. Talk about eye opening - especially for women. We've been told most of our lives that it's a great hormone replacement; trust me, it's not.

Can we just talk about the most difficult part for me? Give up sugar?  Why on earth would I do that?  I mean, its SUGAR for heaven's sake!  As it was explained to me, it would help heal my digestive issues and would help release me from my dependence upon sugar.  I didn't even recognize I had an addiction to sugar until I was told to stop eating it.

Processed foods was a no-brainer in the same vein as soy.  I'd already reduced or eliminated most processed foods for the junk food they were.

Here I am, nearly 30 days later - I've had missteps (which my body promptly reminded me that there was a reason I wasn't eating these foods), but overall, I see great progress in my digestive issues, and I've even lost 10 pounds :-)

After much discussion and a month of eating delicious meals, my family and I are staying Paleo.  Why would we ever want to go back?   I will have a sweet treat now and then, balance is key in any lifestyle, and might try to reincorporate grassfed cheeses and sour cream after a few more months of healing. I am so thankful to Leanne, my new friends in the 30 Day Paleo Challenge, and to God for helping me find the source of my digestive issues and a vessel to help heal them.  I will be forever grateful.  From despair to joy. Let me leave you with one more quote that I think is fitting.

"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain." - Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment