Thursday, May 9, 2013

Rethinking Mother's Day

Most major holidays and celebrations in my family revolve around food.  It's not something I've ever really thought about until I started this challenge.

Now it's the week of Mother's Day and I find myself scrambling to find a non-food related way to celebrate the holiday.  It's always been chocolates and a Mother's Day dinner.   My Mom is also on a journey to better health, so both of my previous options are out. What's a girl to do?

I've scoured the web looking for ideas and have come up with the following:

  • Spa Day
  • Mani/Pedi
  • Honorary donation to her favorite charity
  • Road Trip
  • Poems (seems a bit like something I would've done in elementary school)
  • Gift certificates to her favorite store
  • Words of appreciation

As a mom myself, I think I really like the last option. Who doesn't like to hear the direct impact they've made in their childrens' lives?  It's sweeter than any chocolate and lasts longer than any meal - no matter how tasty the food or lively the company.

So, my challenge to you is this - what kinds of non-food gifts can you come up with to celebrate your Mom? Leave them in the comments and I'll share them in a post after Mother's Day. If you are a mother, let me be the first to say - thank you.  Thank you for all you do to raise the next generation, all the sleep you've lost, the sacrifices you've made and for the wisdom you share.  Happy (early) Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. My mother always enjoys receiving a hanging basket of flowers to put on her porch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I think I just might be get that for my Mom. They just built a new deck :-)

      Delete
  2. After she became a grandmother, anything having to do with them or from them. Kinda took me out of the whole process ... and that was okay!

    ReplyDelete