Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Dining Out On The Challenge

One of the things I've most dreaded since the challenge began was eating out.  I loved eating out before, so I was concerned that I would be tempted.  I shouldn't have been worried - it turned out just fine.  Almost like a lifestyle change is occurring...can you imagine?

I'm very careful to read the menu ahead of time and decide what I'm going to eat before I even set foot in the restaurant.  That eliminates a lot of hand wringing and social awkwardness when ordering.  Most people I'm with don't even notice a difference in how I order. Which is strangely comforting to me.

When I'm out and about, I use the Paleo GoGo mobile app for iPhone.  I'm not sure if there's an Android version, but if there is, I'd highly recommend it.  It's a lifesaver!

I think I'm turning a corner in the challenge - yes, I'd still like to have some sweets, but, I'm really enjoying the food I'm eating.  I'm almost to the point where I don't want to go back to the way I was eating.  Except for maybe an occasional sweet treat, of course ;-)

I know that there are more ups and downs to come, but I think I'm getting better at this everyday.  What are some of the experiences you've had with eating out  while on the Paleo (or a modified version of it) diet?

1 comment:

  1. THAT's the point! :-)
    I love the food we're eating as well. I don't miss the rice or pasta or any of that - and I think the addition of the sweet potatoes is what helps with that aspect. I do want sweet sometimes - but a bite of dark chocolate or a lick of honey fixes that most of the time! I did have to add some dairy back in - as per doctor's orders - but even so, there are so many things I don't miss that I would have thought I would want. When I'm eating out I tend to order everything a la cart - that way I know I'm getting exactly what I want.

    You're doing so great!

    ReplyDelete