Monday, May 6, 2013

My SOS list for dealing with sugar cravings

During this 30 day journey, I decided that the biggest obstacle I might face is not being able to have sugar. Most recently, it's been rearing its ugly head in the form of cravings for Pay Day and Reese's PB Cup candy bars around 3pm at work. It was not a pretty sight if I didn't get my fix on time.  I'm pretty sure I literally growled at someone who stood between me and snack machine.  Not one of my finer moments :-/

Aaaaanyway, I asked for support in the FB group I'm in , The 30 Day Paleo Challenge, and decided that I needed all the tools I could get to make sure that I didn't accidentally snap at my boss.  They all gave me TONS of great tips - one of them, eating 1 tsp of Almond Butter (sugar free of course) off of a spoon has been a lifesaver today.  That, and lots and lots of water.

I compiled them and this is the result...


  • There are a few things going on here Keri: 1) sugar addiction, 2) bad habit, 3) a head trip of stellar proportions.  To beat sugar addiction, you need to replace it with enough protein (check that box with the 30 Day Challenge), enough fat (another check) and fiber (another check again). Make SURE you're not trying to go low fat, lavish the butter on your veggies, enjoy that big fat portion of steak and if you're absolutely needing a little something, get one ounce of 80% dark chocolate, break it up into pieces and let it melt slowly in your mouth. 
  • Try keeping almond butter to snack on. It really helps my sweet tooth
  • Yes, have something to substitute that you look forward to! That way you don't focus on what you CAN'T have but on what you can have.
  • A spoonful of mayo works for me I was surprised I never thought I would eat just mayo. Doing crosswords and word find puzzles, going for a walk around my yard, doing puzzles, texting friends takes your mind off the habit of munching. I try to stop eating after I eat dinner and have a snack of a salad with protein an hour before I go to bed.
  • An ounce of dark chocolate with a tbsp of almond butter on top of it is a great sub for Reese's! We (my husband & I) actually go as far as to make our own chocolate bark that has no sugar and is just sweetened with xylitol -- we melt down the squares of pure UNSWEETENED chocolate (bakers chocolate) with some coconut oil and a couple of tbsp of xylitol (we find that 1/2 a tbsp to 1 tbsp per square works well)... once it melts, spread it on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and let it harden in the freezer or fridge. You can add nuts and/or coconut for a yummy treat.
  • Fresh or frozen grapes are great to kick a sugar crave fast. If they are frozen it is kinda like a Popsicle/ Bon Bon...and homemade mayo is the greatest thing on this planet... I will post my super easy 30 second mayo recipe when I am back at my computer.
  • A handful of dates rolled in almonds or plain fresh ones both sweet and mushy.
  • Raw almonds are my substitute of choice!
  • Dates are used in tons of paleo "dessert" recipes. You probably want to be careful for this 30 days if you are just starting to cut out sugar because dates are still high glycemic. But I have a few favorites that all involve dates through the food processor. One you mix with chia seeds & coconut oil for an "energy bar". Another is with unsweetened cocoa powder, coconut oil, shredded coconut & walnuts = raw brownie balls. Yum! But better to get the sugar mostly out of your system first, then make these just an every now & then treat.
  • I have trouble with this too; I usually get off work about 3 or 3:30 and stop to shop on my way home to save gas. I am tired, cranky, and HUNGRY at that time of day. Nuts work pretty well for me as a snack. I'm about to try making my own jerky. What I really need to do is move dinner time up from 7-ish to 4:30 or 5:00; then I can fix a salad and eat it while the rest of my meal cooks. Fortunately, most paleo meals for me are very simple... a chunk of meat in the skillet and a side of veggies and/or salad. Stocking up on freezer meats, and buying produce twice a week works pretty well for keeping me out of the store most days.

Great advice, is it not?If you're interesting in more information about the 30 Day Paleo Challenge, visit Leanne Ely (aka The Dinner Diva)  at www.savingdinner.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment