Monday, May 13, 2013

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Behaviors) from days 6-7

I hesitated to post this because I don't like to 'spread negativity' - or so I told myself.  The REAL problem is that I didn't want to expose to the world my vulnerabilities for fear of seeming unstable.  But I did the thing that my brain kept telling me to do - reach out for help.   As I've said in previous posts, I belong to a great group on Facebook that are all (for the most part) going through a 30 Day Paleo Challenge at the same time.

This weekend, they proved to be a lifeline for me.

I'd spend the weekend stuffing down anger and tears because I couldn't find a logical reason why I was feeling this way. Everyone was getting along, the atmosphere in our home was fun-loving and caring, then there's the extra attention of Mother's Day.  So, why did I want to go back to bed and cry (this was on Mother's Day)  or tear the heads off everyone I cared about (this was Saturday)?

I thought that my mood was affected on Sunday because I hadn't eaten a proper breakfast, but even after my blood sugar restabilized, I literally couldn't hold back the tears or spiteful thoughts towards my family. After a particularly strange episode, my wise husband confronted me on my behavior and how it might be showing the kids that I was ungrateful for the gifts they'd given me for Mother's Day.  The conviction in my heart proved he was right, and I immediately went to my kids, apologizing for my behavior and reassuring them that I was very thankful for them and for their gifts. Immediately after doing that (and a suggestion from my husband that we order out for dinner), it felt like a huge boulder was lifted from my chest and my mood improved for the remainder of the day.

I relayed most of this to my group, and within a short amount of time, I had a handful of solutions/reasons for my erratic behavior. I was able to read that I wasn't crazy and that what I was dealing with, not only had others dealt with the same, but was completely explained by the changes I've made to my diet recently.  Since they had to do with the sugar purge component of the 30 Day Challenge, I won't stop the purge as this behavior can (and did) pass.

I relay this information to say, (1) you're not alone if you're dealing with the same behavior while on a sugar purge and (2) you still have time to join the 30 Day Challenge  ;-)

Any of you have the same or similar experiences that you'd like to share?  You never know who you'll help.

2 comments:

  1. Something I learned after surgery is that when we lose fat cells, they actually release hormones. That's why people that are losing weight are extremely emotional and sensitive!

    You're doing such a great job! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SuperMom - I've learned to LOVE pickles :-D

      Delete