Saturday, May 25, 2013

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Today we're going to "Faith & Family Day at the K" - the "K" standing for Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals. They call it Faith & Family Day because there is an emphasis on faith and a Contemporary Christian artist performs after the ballgame. I'm especially excited about this one because one of my favorites, David Crowder Band, is the artist this year.  If you've never heard of them, here is a sample of their music...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_VHP_Sn-E

To say I'm excited about both the game and the music is an understatement.  But I digress for now.

The main concern I have is typical baseball fare - none of which I will eat. I mean, come on, fully processed hot dogs, white buns, beer....yuck!  So, how to take care of the inevitable hunger pangs that will come during the game?  The same way I do when I go to the movies - snacks and lots of them. So, what types of snacks will I be bringing?  Mostly cut up veggies, some berries and nuts.  I don't want to overpack, but I do want to be prepared for the hunger monster.  I'm also going to eat lunch right before we leave. We only live 10 minutes from the stadium, which is helpful.  Our church is tailgating before the game, but I'm intentionally avoiding that because there will be nothing there I want to eat.

I'm also mentally preparing myself - I would be dishonest if I said that some of the sights, sounds and smells at a baseball game make me want to dive head first in a never ending stream of nachos, hamburgers and beer.  Must.Have.Willpower!  Just kidding, it won't be easy, but my mindset has changed so much I'm actually looking forward to being able to take all that in (without demonizing it) and moving on. I'm going to focus on what I should be focusing on - the event and my family. I mean isn't that what I'm supposed to be focused on?  Besides, who wants to spend 3-4 hours white knuckling my food choices when I can do some pre planning and avoid all the drama.

What steps do you take to avoid temptation when you're at an event or venue that contains foods you won't eat?

UPDATE: Towards the end of the game, I did the unthinkable - I caved.  But in the misery that followed, I realized that all was not lost. I could call this a 'one off' and get rid back to eating Paleo. And that's exactly what I did at my very next meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment