Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Evening With Dr. William Davis

It might sound completely geeky to say this, but I crossed another item off my bucket list last night.  I got to meet Dr. William Davis, a preventive cardiologist from Wisconsin, and well-known author of the books, "Wheat Belly" and the "Wheat Belly Cookbook".  Before I went exclusively Paleo, I first went wheat free - thanks in part to this book and research I'd already done on the benefits of doing so.

He was in my hometown of Kansas City, Mo and was giving a talk about the health benefits of the Wheat Belly lifestyle. He also mentioned briefly that he ascribes the Paleo lifestyle as a way of eating that is beneficial to your health as well (holla!).  I went back and forth on whether or not I would go, but I think a part of me realized that I couldn't NOT go.  It was housed in a beautiful church in the heart of our well-known Country Club Plaza area.  If you've never been to KC, you should come and take a walk around.

   Country Club Plaza

Back to my story...there was a reception before the seminar, complete with fresh veggies and wine, so I headed to that first in order to fuel my brain.  I talked briefly with a lady who was dealing with nearly identical medical issues to mine.  It was sad to hear her talk about wanting to be more healthy but lamenting over giving up wheat.  I remember being in the same boat.  Like I told her, once you start to see the changes that a wheat free diet can make, you won't miss it....as much.  Dr. Davis's cookbook, has great recipes and swaps for some of your favorite wheat based recipes. As she departed to go look at the books, I encouraged her to give the Wheat Belly lifestyle a try. I hope she decided to.

After finishing my goodies, I headed up to the main sanctuary to find my seat. When I walked into the sanctuary, I saw that Dr. Davis was signing books and greeting people. This was my chance. I got in line and waiting (somewhat patiently) while everyone schmoozed and took pictures.  Finally, my turn!  I said hello and gave him a quick rundown of my experience and what his protocol did for me.  I didn't know what else to say, and I didn't have a book for him to sign (its on my Kindle), so I stood there for a second, much like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" when he was with Santa Claus.  With tears in my eyes, I finished our interaction with a simple "thank you for changing my life and my health".

The seminar began an hour later and while I listened intently, my biggest takeaway will be my interaction with Dr. Davis.  I am so blessed to live in a time where even "traditional" doctors are beginning to see the benefits of teaching their patients to care for themselves.   If you'd like more information about Dr. Davis or his books, please visit Wheat Belly Blog.

What experiences have you had in your road to healing that you'd like to share? Anyone in  particular you'd like to thank for starting your journey to better health?

No comments:

Post a Comment